Thursday, August 28, 2014

Hey everyone, my name is Kelbie Jackson.  I am from Richmond, UT, but I currently live in Fielding, UT.  I have been married for almost four years, and I have a beautiful little girl named Paisley.  She will be two in November.  My husband and I are expecting our second baby in January, who is going to be a little boy.  I am studying English and Chemistry and I hope to teach both those subjects in high school.  I would love to teach tenth grade, but I wouldn't mind teaching twelfth grade.  I would also like to be either a cheerleading or drill team coach at the school I teach.   My hobbies include dancing, sewing, cooking, and reading. 
For me English is the best subject ever because you can have a lot of fun while teaching it.  You are a lot less limited to the activities, books, and topics you teach because you can relate so many different works to one another.  It is a subject that allows students to express themselves through their reading and writing, and I really like that about English because it allows shy students, like myself, to express themselves without having to speak.
Chemistry to me is a subject that allows you to have fun and watch things explode.  I like it because it is very structured and you have to follow things precisely in order for them to work out.  However, it is fun because you get to play around with chemicals and watch how chemicals react with one another.  It is also great because you get to learn how everyday things are created.  For example, lotions and shampoos. 
The thing that drew me into teaching English and Chemistry was two of my high school teachers I had so much fun in their class that I knew I wanted to do something with English and Chemistry.  After taking a few of the classes in college I realized that what I wanted to do most was teach these subjects so I could try to influence and help other students love the subjects just as I do.
I would say that literacy is an understanding based on how well students understand and comprehend a specific task or skill to enhance ones life in an unbiased way.
I think literacy definitely relates to my discipline because someone can be able to read and write or do chemistry perfectly, but unless they are able to apply it in their own life they are not considered literate in English or chemistry.  For example, a student can read The Life of Pi all the way through and write a paper on it does not mean a student is literate with the novel.  However, if they learned a few survival techniques from reading the novel then they would be considered literate. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelbie...congratulations on your forthcoming little boy! I appreciated your definition of literacy in English as being able to apply the principles learned to their own lives. I think that literacy is unique in this discipline because sometimes the "principles learned" through literature include principles related to personal relationships or ethics. For instance, a student might read about a character who exhibited courage when faced with a particular ethical dilemma, and be inspired to apply the principles to their own lives.

    Thanks for your first posting and I look forward to reading more of your ideas as the semester progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can verify that Kelbie is from Richmond. In fact, she was my next-door neighbor for about four years.

    Congratulations on your next little one. All I can say is that two is way more than twice the work. However, two is way more than twice the fun. Also, little boys are way easier than girls.

    I never would have taken you for someone that "likes to watch things explode".

    It was nice to read a little about you. It is crazy that every time I see you I think of the 13 year old girl that moved in next door. Never the mom with her second on the way.

    Anyway, I'm excited to have another class with you. It is always good to see you.

    ReplyDelete